I am an author, screenwriter, essayist, and teacher. My novels – The Monsters of St. Helena, Perlman’s Ordeal, The Chess Garden, and Boone (co-authored with Nick Davis) were all New York Times Notable Books. The Chess Garden was also selected as a PW Best Book of the Year in 1995. I have written two books for Young Readers, Caesar’s Antlers, and Beastie, both of which I illustrated. In 2009, I released my first memoir, The Brotherhood of Joseph, and in 2005 received a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship for John the Baptizer, which was published in 2009 by W.W. Norton. More recently, my work has appeared in Central Park: an anthology (Bloomsbury USA,2012), and The Good Book (Simon & Schuster, 2015), and I have established my own imprint, Star Pine Books, both to manage my own backlist and to field newer titles of more particular appeal, such as Beastie and Asmodeus.
Books in order of publication date:
- Boone (1990) Co-written with childhood friend and Harvard classmate Nick Davis. A fictional documentary-style biography of a fictional performance artist and painter. Named a New York Times Notable Book.
- The Chess Garden (1995) A New York Times Notable Book of the Year. Selected for the Fall 1995 Barnes & Noble “Discover Great New Writers” program. Publishers’ Weekly Best Book of the Year, 1995.
- Caesar’s Antlers (1997) For young adults
- Perlman’s Ordeal: A Novel (1999) A New York Times Notable Book.
- The Monsters of St. Helena (2003) A fictional account of Napoleon Bonaparte‘s final years on St. Helena. Named A New York Times Notable Book.
- The Brotherhood of Joseph (2008) A memoir of infertility and adoption.
- John the Baptizer: A Novel (2009)
- Asmodeus: The Legend of Margrét and the Dragon (2016)
- “BEASTIE: Lord of The Lamp Post, a recollection with drawings (2016)