Kathleen Rooney is a founding editor of Rose Metal Press, a publisher of literary work in hybrid genres, and a founding member of Poems While You Wait, a team of poets and their typewriters who compose commissioned poetry on demand.
She teaches English and Creative Writing at DePaul University and is the author of eight books of poetry, nonfiction, and fiction, including the novel O, Democracy! (Fifth Star Press, 2014) and the novel in poems Robinson Alone (Gold Wake Press, 2012). With Eric Plattner, she is the co-editor of René Magritte: Selected Writings (University of Minnesota Press, 2016 and Alma Books, 2016). A winner of a Ruth Lilly Fellowship from Poetry magazine, her reviews and criticism have appeared in the New York Times Book Review, The Chicago Tribune, The New York Times Magazine, The Rumpus, The Nation the Poetry Foundation website and elsewhere. She lives in Chicago with her spouse, the writer Martin Seay, and her second novel, Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, will be published by St. Martin’s Press in January of 2017.
Books in order of publication:
- Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey, Penguin, 2020.
- Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, St. Martin’s Press, 2017,
- O, Democracy!, Fifth Star Press, 2014.
- The Kind of Beauty That Has Nowhere to Go (with Elisa Gabbert, Hyacinth Girl Press, 2013)
- Robinson Alone, Gold Wake Press, 2012.
- For You, For You I Am Trilling These Songs. Counterpoint. 10 December 2009.
- Live Nude Girl: My Life as an Object, University of Arkansas Press, 2009.
- Don’t ever stay the same; keep changing (with Elisa Gabbert, Spooky Girlfriend Press, 2009)
- Oneiromance (an epithalamion), Switchback Books, 2008.
- That Tiny Insane Voluptuousness. with Elisa Gabbert (2008). Lulu.com.
- Something Really Wonderful (with Elisa Gabbert, Dancing Girl Press, 2007)
- Reading with Oprah: The Book Club that Changed America. University of Arkansas Press. 2005.