Patrick McGilligan (born 1951) is an Irish American biographer, film historian and writer. His biography on Alfred Hitchcock, Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light was a finalist for the Edgar Award.
He is the author of two New York Times Notable Books, and he lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He is also noted for his biography on Clint Eastwood, Clint: The Life and Legend, which reveals much about Eastwood which his official biography by Richard Schickel left out.
In addition to Hitchcock and Eastwood, he has written biographies on Robert Altman, James Cagney, George Cukor, Fritz Lang, Oscar Micheaux, Jack Nicholson, Nicholas Ray, and Mel Brooks. He is also an editor of Backstory, which features interviews of Hollywood screenwriters and is published by the University of California Press.
Books in order of publication:
- Funny Man: Mel Brooks
- Clint: The Life and Legend
- George Cukor: A Double Life
- Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light
- Fritz Lang: The Nature of the Beast
- Oscar Micheaux: The Great and Only: The Life of America’s First Black Filmmaker
- Jack Nicholson: The Joker Is Wild
- Nicholas Ray: The Glorious Failure of an American Director
- Tender Comrades: A Backstory of the Hollywood Blacklist with Paul Buhle